Prev: Re: FTL capable fighters (B5) Next: Re: Starship Trooper-- off topic

Re: FTL capable fighters (B5)

From: Graduate of the Dr ASCII School of Heelhook <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:06:31 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL capable fighters (B5)

>> So the numbers don't work.
>
>As is the case of many other number crunching done on B5.
>
>Yes it's realistic, but there are also many errors, especially when you
>start doing maths like this.  For example look at the various
discussions
>trying to match the location of B5 with vareous homeworlds and spectral
>classes of stars (less than convincing)

Point taken.  ;-)

>Or the gravity issue.	Work out how fast B5 need to spin to give a
gravity
>of 1G.  We know it is 5 miles long, so we can take a guess at it's
radius.
>I forget the exact numbers, but I can tell you it doesn't work...

We did a back-of-the-envelope calculation on this way back when to
determine
the radius of the station for a 1g field and it seemed to be pretty
close
(iirc we came up with a ~1 mile diameter station). At least we were
happy
with the number we got (it was l-a-t-e at night here at the time, so
that
may have something to do with it).

Ah, well, we will just try to keep our FT/B5 stuff as close to B5 as
possible and still fall in the realm of believability.	:-)

(speaking of, anyone have any ideas when the EarthForce Source book is
to come out for the role-playing game? I'm kinda out of touch on it,
what
with everything else going on...)

Mk
-
"Yyyes ! Haha!! Tremble before the twin-headed, four-legged eleven foot
tall Engine of Justice that *is* Manuever 14B!"

Prev: Re: FTL capable fighters (B5) Next: Re: Starship Trooper-- off topic