Prev: Re: Binding the universe... Next: Q? for Jon: DSII: Grav Vehicles

RE: Honor Harrington Question?

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:32:13 -0400
Subject: RE: Honor Harrington Question?

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Tim Jones wrote:

> Jeff - I am suprised that you think there are two wedges. Can you tell
me
> where this is described. I had always thought there was a single
wedge,
> generated from both sets of impellor nodes. In all the encounters they

> 'strike the wedge' not 'wedges'.

There are two "gravity bands" generated by the nodes; one "above" the
ship, one "below" it. Together they form the drive wedge. I think
this is where the confusion arises.

> I'm also confused about which end of the wedge is the more open, The
'up the
> kilt shot' is up the stern of the ship as it is well described in
several
> battles if you look at a kilt its more flared  towards the bottom (see

> Braveheart) and suggests the wedge is kilt shaped.

"Up the kilt" is a polite version of "up the ass", which I find
rather appropriate for a shot at the stern of a ship. Shots from the
front are called "down the throat" instead. It has nothing to do with
how wide the respective wedge openings are. (BTW, what true kilts
I've seen have hanged straight down from the hips as long as the
wearer doesn't move... :)

The novels clearly state that the front aspect of the wedge
is wider than the stern aspect, which is why most warships dislike
being the chaser in a stern chase - the chaser is an easier target
than the fleeing ship.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Binding the universe... Next: Q? for Jon: DSII: Grav Vehicles