Prev: Re: AI's in full thrust Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:28:36 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

At 05:59 PM 7/9/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Second, as someone once told me, if the human brain was simple enough
for us
>to understand it, we'd be too stupid to understand it.

If man were meant to fly, he'd have wings? I don't see how understanding
the
structure and function of the brain is limited by the structure and
function
of the brain.

>I guess that's my way
>of saying the thought of a human built AI that is senient, intuitive,
and
>creative is a LONG way away.  I seriously doubt that there will be one
>created in the next hundred years.

That's quite possible.

>Forth, why in the hell would an AI fight in a war?  War is senseless,
>illogical, and detrimental. Most wars boil down to one side has
something
>that another side wants.  In the conflict, the value of the material
used to
>fight is worth more than what you're fighting for.  I don't think AIs
would
>fight for this reason; the cost outweighs the benefit.  I imagine
they'd
>follow a "compete and cooperate" way of "living."  ALways strive to
better
>oneself, but help another, especially if it benefits you.   Hmmmm, now
>there's one trait I bet an AI won't have; altruism.

What happens when a force decides to take over the planets occupied by
the
AI? What if such a take over will result in the deaths of thousands of
humans and the possible destruction of AIs? Wouldn't THAT be worth
fighting
for?

>Sounds like a slightly boring place to me....

Oh, I don't know. A world run by computers, leaving me wanting in
nothing?
So what would I do with my life? Play games and paint miniatures all
day?
Travel? Write? I could handle that. I wouldn't even be bored...

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: AI's in full thrust Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)