Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: Attn JT: FT Novels

Re: AI's in full thrust

From: Ryan Montieth Gill <labrg@e...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 03:41:29 -0400
Subject: Re: AI's in full thrust

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997 schoyt@fuse.net wrote:

> Huh?	We've gone from room sized computers to desktops and the
> theoretical limit on miniaturization of a mechanically operated
computer

Military systems are always larger than civil models, more robust too.
Sure the actual processor is pretty damn small, but what about all of
the
io. Moderd Super Computers are still big because of the need for the io
systems.

> If you have such intelligent computers, they will know exactly what is
> wrong much faster than a human technician, who will be using a
> diagnostic computer anyway.  Besides, repairing space battle damage
> ain't like getting some lumber to shore up the bulkhead after a hull
> breach.  Nanites would be spread throughout the ship, and outer hull

Sure Nanites are great, but Where do they get their raw materials? There
is more to damage control than sealing bulkheads. Equipment/material has
to be strapped back down, fires put out, damage assessed, Systems reset.

The assumption about the nanites is something that has yet to be
mentioed
in the ft universe. In DS there is still a preponderance of humans.

> The human acts only in a supervisory/planning capacity while the AI
> provides instant data for decisions, recommendations and simulations
as
> required.  All actual fire control solutions, plotting data, and
course
> corrections are all handled automatically by the AI.	The modern day
> Aegis system works much the same, so why wouldn't we have more
> sophisticated computers in the future handling even more?

This does work well now, except when the computer doesn't have all of
the
correct codes programmed in and both the command crew and the computer
make an error. Case in point, the airliner over the gulf that was
splashed.

> They can remember a ship or radar site' location after being disrupted
> by chaff.  They can be taught to ignore flares.  And this is 1997.
With
> the computational power that will be available in 2197, you can get a
> pretty sophisticated brain in a weapons package.  If we applied this
> "human operator" logic to modern naval warfare, we would still be
firing
> broadsides from cannon because the enemy MIGHT spoof our missiles.
You

No we are using ai systems to counter ai systems. You have a mach plus
anti -ship missile, I have an AEW aircraft and mach 2+ anti missile
weapons.

EW, AEW, ECM, and ECCM are all different views of the same science.

> up the Arsenal Ship currently being discussed by the Navy.  Heavily
> automated with a minimum crew and lots o' weapons.  Many of the
> discussions here are being hashed out by a more august body of
thinkers
> than ourselves.

The big problem with the arseal ship concept is it cant take care of it
self and that the USN doesn't have enough $$ to load all the ships in
inventory out with a full compliment of missiles, let alone lo0ad up the
Arsenal ship.

> These are science FICTION, not some scientific study.  It's not as if

The game is science fiction. The whole principle of FTL travel is
impossible with modern Physical Laws.

> mistakes won't happen if humans are in charge.  Friendly fire and
> mission failure happens all the time with human commanders.  Just
> because an AI might fail is no reason not to use them - we'd all be in
> trouble if that criteria applied in life.

Ahh, I didn't say they weren't necessary, just they weren't replacements
for humies at the controls. Current Future Force doctrine hopes for
deployable remote missile launchers both on sea and on land. They would
be
smart and self defending. More remote fighting and recce would be done,
but the finesse of humans is still a big factor. Computers are only as
smart as the folks that make them. <My big question is where are all the
admirals and generals with programing/engineering expertise going to
come

- Ryan Montieth Gill  /|\   Scotland Forever  DoD# 0780/AMA/SOHC -
- _ryan.gill@turner.com or labrg@emory.edu_   '85 CB700S 'Mehev' -
- I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.   '72 CB750K 'The Barge' -
- www.mojoski.com/~rgill	     '76 MonteCarlo 'Bumblecrow' -
---		Senator Koella Should go to JAIL !!	       ---
--- Kill someone and leave the accident you should go to jail! ---

Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: Attn JT: FT Novels