Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: AI's in full thrust

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: John Skelly <jskelly@i...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 18:15:42 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Allan forget your central computer brain running the ship and imagine
this:  Throughout the ship are linked robots each capable of operating
independantly.	Much like say, Terminators from the movies, distributed
throughout the ship linked togethor in one large network.  When linked
together they have their combined intelligence and storage to run the
ship.  This way one hit doesn't destroy the ships 'brain'.  Also imagine
a turret cut off from the rest of the ship but still able to function
because one or more robots is still linked to it.  This goes along with
todays trend of moving from host based systems to a more distributed
style of processing.

One argument I can see is, well why not just distribute the 'brain'
throughout the ship?  Well by having individual robots you have a ready
made boarding, damage control and defense force.  I'm getting chills
just imaging those Terminators just standing still with just the flicker
of activity lights to show that anything is going on.  Kinda makes the
Borg collective laughable in comparison.