Prev: PDAF Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: John Skelly <jskelly@i...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 17:51:48 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Allan Goodall wrote:

> At 07:50 PM 7/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Allan that sorta talk is what leads to Skynet.
>
> Ah, but Skynet will change the world! :-)
>
> I've read some of the Bolo short stories, but not any of the novels. I
> think
> Iain Banks is the way to go, though. Huge, kilometres long starships
> controlled by an AI Mind while humans live a life of splendor in their
> own
> utopias. That's the way to fight a war!

I don't there are any ful length 'Bolo' novels.  There was a long short
story that had less too do with a Bolo than anything else.  I would be
interested in any titles from the author you are refering too.

Never played Falcon 3 or higher, but I have played x-wing vs tie
fighter.  I'll admit the AI can be deadly accurate but I'm getting there
:-).  The high casualty rate you refer too can be attributed to more
than just units being destroyed ie- low fuel, out of munitions, any
craft damage that forces the fighters to withdraw, etc	I try to imagine
the number more of an overall strength rating rather than an actual
number of craft.

Hey, how long do you think it would take all those AI escorts and
fighters to decide that the humans in charge were a bunch of idiots?

Prev: PDAF Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)