Prev: Re: Honor Harrington Question? Next: Re: Jovian Chronicle Minis

Re: Superships and Fighter capacity.

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:53:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Superships and Fighter capacity.

Jeff Shoffner wrote:
>Does anyone have a list of what the "proper" abbreviations should be
for
>ships?  I know a carrier is CV, and cruiser is CA (I think) and
destroyer is
>DDG, but what are the others?

Here's some I collected from past posts to the list and what not...

Typical Ship Designations:
GB-Gunboat
ES-Escort
CT-Corvette
PAS-Perimeter Action Ship
FF-Frigate
DD-Destroyer
CL-Light Cruiser
CE-Escort Cruiser
CA-Heavy Cruiser
CA2-Large Cruiser
BC,CB-Battle Cruiser
BB-Battleship
DN-Dreadnought
BDN-Battle Dreadnought
SDN-Super Dreadnought
CVE-Escort Carrier
CVL-Light Carrier
CVA-Attack Carrier

Typical modifiers:
A-Attack,Armored,Assault,Auxiliary
B-Base,Battle,Boat
C-Command,Courier
D-Defense,Dromedary
E-Escort
F-Fast,Fighter,Fleet
G-Guided Missile,Gun
H-Heavy
I-Inspection,Interceptor
J-Jump
L-Lancer,Launch,Light
M-Missile,Monitor
N-Nuclear,Needle
O-Oiler,Orbital Bombardment,Outpost
P-Patrol
Q-Q-ship
R-Raider
S-Scout,Shuttle,Strike,Support,System
T-Tanker,Tender,Torpedo,Transport
X-Experimental

This is only a partial list based on NATO designations and material
found in
sci-fi and wargaming.

Check out a copy of Jane's Fighting Ships for an excellent reference on
ship
types and more.  Janes can be accessed via the Web at:
http://www.janes.com/

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: Honor Harrington Question? Next: Re: Jovian Chronicle Minis