Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: FT Novels (not directly FT Related)

From: Peggy & Jeff Shoffner <pshoffner@e...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 21:21:36 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Novels (not directly FT Related)

> I've given some thought to the Honor Harrington series and a Full
> Thrust rules conversion.  Some of the complexities of the Manitcore-
> Haven universe would have to be modeled using a Newtonian movement
> system as opposed to the Full Thrust movement system.....

I've been thinking on this line too.  My feelings are to mold FT to
resemble
the Harrington universe, but not so much to make FT a complex game.  My
thoughts are....

Movement be done in vectors.  Basically, if you have a starting speed of
8
units, and you want to turn 3 units and accelerate 6 units, what you
would do
is this:  Move your ship 8 units in the direction it was going.  Turn
your
ship 3 clicks.	Accel 6 units.	From your starting point, measure to
your
ending point to derive new velocity (in this case 10 units), and the
direction of the ship's movement would fall on this line.  Notice that
your
ship is NOT facing the same way as it is now moving.  For simplicity
sake,
round new velocity to the nearest unit, and vector to the closest
heading.

Ships' gravity wall defences....  I'd say that all escorts have level
one
shields, all cruisers level two, and all caps. level three.  When doing
threshold checks, loss of a shield means a sidewall collapses (and in
bigger
ships, partial sidewall collapse); loss of a engine thrust spells
disaster.
The first hit to engines means that particular ship is hit at say, 3 or
better. If the engine is hit again, automatic hit; goes to DSII idea of
lasers: if you can see it, you can hit it.

ECM: replaces PDAF and ADAF.  Basically, shoots at incoming missiles and
acts
just like *DAF against fighters.

Missiles:  obviously needs to be rethought.  I am thinking along the
lines of
making them less massive in FT so that ships can carry more.  How many
volleys are usually shot off in the books, four, five?	Maybe have a
damage
modifier to reflect ship size instead; escorts to 1D6 damage, cruisers
2D6,
caps 3-4D6.  What do you think?

Ship Rolling:  Now this is a tricky one.  Best I could think of is treat
the
ships' movement rate as being used to flip.  Again, to make things
simple,
have it where the ship is either right-side up, or inverted; no
sideways.
Yes, I know this is a key defence to missiles in the book, but I'm
saying the
shield levels should account for this.	Besides, as I recall, the
missiles
could still arc up and come down at a ship even if it was on its side.
The
benefit of flipping would be in bringing undamaged guns and missile
tubes to
bear.

Fighters: Obviously gone, as are carriers.  Maybe use them as pinnaces,
but
pinnaces were never used in battle.

Well, what do you think?  I wanted someone to bounce this off for a
while
anyway; I like the Harrington universe, but wasn't sure if these rules
modifiers would make it seem like Honor's world.

Jeff Shoffner

Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)