Prev: Re: Scratch built.. Next: Re: Superships and Fighter capacity.

Re: Superships and Fighter capacity.

From: valen <valen10@f...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 02:24:29 -0400
Subject: Re: Superships and Fighter capacity.

Aden Steinke wrote:

> "Rutherford, Michael" commented
>
> >Probably to stop people putting together fast, manuvuerable mini
> >carriers that have nothing but a fighter group on board.
> >
> >Though I must admit this seems like a viable tactic for Real Life
(tm).
> >Use a cruiser sized ship to provide FTL capability to small
expendable
> >fighers. It is surely easier/quicker to produce a heap of fighters
and
> >replace the odd mini carrier than it is to build a couple of fleet
> >carriers (or *any* capital ships for that matter).
>
> The problem with heaps of fighters is the pilots, they tend to
represent a far
> greater investment of time in training to produce than the vehicle, as
such
> are not expendable. Also the social conditioning needed to create a
large
> group of  pilots willing to be expended would have to exist.
>
> The mini carrier also would not have the same recovery / repair
capacity as
> the fleet carrier.
>
> Aden

I have used a couple of escorte sized carriers in my games, the can only
carrier a single group of fighters, but make excellent raider style
craft.	the escort carrier usually serves the same purpose as any other
fleet carrier, which is nothing once the battle has started

chris "b5 rocks" pratt
valen10@flash.net

Prev: Re: Scratch built.. Next: Re: Superships and Fighter capacity.