Prev: Re: Those Spiky Things Next: Re: Those Spiky Things

Re: Grav Bikes

From: Darryl Adams <dadams@t...>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 23:54:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Grav Bikes

Alan Brain wrote:

> > Besheeba is not going to happen in SGII with IAVR and plasma
> weapons.
>
> Ummm... I beg to differ. Remember the Light Horse at Bathsheeba
> charged
> with drawn bayonets, and the opposition had machine guns...The
> comparison is apt. As you said though, they were Mounted Infantry, not
>
> cavalry. But they did it anyway.

The reason Besheba worked was that the field guns were hand cranked and
could not be sighted less than 150m (may be wrong with the range)

For WW1 combat this would not be a problem, as the troops would be
suppressed by mass firepower in the open long before the sighting
limitation would be an issue.

By charging , the Light Horse caused the ranges to be changed constantly
, so while they took losses, the losses was less than comming in on
foot.

And remember, the enemy "knew" that they where light horse, so they
where waiting for them to dismount. The charge was a complete supprise,
otherwise the whole charge would have been wiped out by machine gun
fire.

Darryl

Prev: Re: Those Spiky Things Next: Re: Those Spiky Things