Prev: Re: Hi John! (Was Re: wanted: more thrust: Apolog Next: Re: Mark's Day Off (Off Topic... Just general gaming stuff.)

Re: Mark's Day Off (Off Topic... Just general gaming stuff.)

From: Stuart Murray <smurray@a...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 11:12:01 -0400
Subject: Re: Mark's Day Off (Off Topic... Just general gaming stuff.)

Hi,

>	Despite the dunderhead clerk, I decided to peruse the store's
>"clearance" rack and I found a copy of Kryomek for $12.50.  I couldn't
>pass this up. So I paid Einstein and went on my way.

Good choice, I think the Kryomek universe has a great deal of potential
(so
far woefully under exploited) for Sci Fi wargaming.  Look out for the
second book Hivestone.	I use the KM stuff but I use SG II rules, Andy
(I
forgot his surname) has a web page with some conversion stuff.	I would
be
happy to send you what I have if you are interested.

>	Later in the afternoon I stopped at usual haunt, Adventure Games
Plus,
>to see if they had any luck tracking AoG merchandise down.  Unlike
>Napoleon's, the staff at AGP is far more intelligent than the
historical
>wargaming fops of Milwaukee's East Side.  Like myself, the staff at AGP
>is also concerned that they haven't got any B5 Wars stuff yet.  They
>also deal with Chessex.  Hmmmmmm.... I notice a pattern appearing here.

My symapthies i have had the same problems with B5 minis.

>	Anyway, I decided to browse around the store for a while when I
get to
>the display of the Fantasy/Napoleonic miniature game Flintloque.  Now I
>have never really been into historical wargaming myself, but my
interest
>in Napoleonic history has been growing lately.  It has mainly to do
with
>a series of BBC-produced movies based on some novels about an English
>Lieutenant who came up from the ranks and fought with Wellington
against
>the French in Spain.... What was it called again?  Shaft?  Shake?
>Sherman? ;-)

There based on Bernard Cornwells books the 'Sharpe Series', I think
there
are now 12 or so of them.  the books are quite good historical romps.
The
level of historical detail is excellent.  the books were serialised a
few
years ago by a British TV company.  They went to some considerable
effort
with the serial, ther are very watchable.

>	When I ask a few of the patrons about Flintloque they told me
that it
>was a very good and simple game.  I had seen it played a couple of
times
>and it did look very interesting.  So I decided to plop down 36 bucks
>(Hey!	At least it's cheaper than anything GW would come out with) and
>picked up the basic set.
>
>	When I got home I had a chance to look at the rules and the
fiction.
>Wait a minute: Sergeant Harpy?  Major Wogan!?	 REKHART SHARKE!?!?!?
>WOW!  Mr. Cornwall, meet Mr. Tolkein.	I think I'm gonna like this
>game!	I'll try it out tomorrow night when the AGP Flintloque group
>meets if I can digest the rules by then.

I've not read through the rules but I have seen the figures, they look
quite well detailed but they are huge (approx 40-50 mm head to foot).

Stuart.

Stuart Murray
Department Of Molecular Genetics
Albert Einstein College Of Medicine