Prev: Re: Re : Chits Next: Re[2]: Re : Chits

Re: DS II Personal Walkers

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:20:35 -0400
Subject: Re: DS II Personal Walkers

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Gerald McVicker wrote:

> WAIT A MINUTE!  We are talking about build points for a vehicle here!!

Well, that has even LESS to do with comparison with *infantry*.

> This is by no means a gauge of the effectiveness of that vehicle.  The
> "build points" are used  to portray what you could realistically put
on a
> vehicle of a certain size class.

No, that's what the space system is for. E.g. class 1 vehicles have 5
spaces. That limits the *size* of the equipment you can mount. Points
cost, however, limits the *cost* of said equipment. This is the
difference between getting a dirt cheap RFAC-1 instead of a DFFG-1 or
HEL-1.

And specifically, movement systems don't take up any space anyway.

As for the "short legs" argument:

Yes, it's a good *in-game* reason to limit I-walker top speed.
It is NOT a *metagame* reason to charge the same for less ability.

If you do that, the message you're passing is more like: "This is
obsolete technology in the author's mind. If you insist on using it, you

won't get your points' worth of effectiveness."

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Re : Chits Next: Re[2]: Re : Chits