Prev: Re: Re : Chits Next: Re: Re : Chits

RE: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt)

From: "Alfredo Lorente" <alfredo@b...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:19:55 -0400
Subject: RE: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt)

> Ryan Montieth Gill wrote:
> >
> > Let me get this straight... You want to use satchel charges
> > against tanks? Screw that, make up some rules for IAVRs in SG. Why
> > would any infantry unit charge up next to a tank (that probably
> > has  infantry support) and try to stick a satchel charge up under
> > the turret ring.
>
> There already are rules for IAVRs in SG. What do you think the
> weapon stats for Infantry Rocket are for? An IAVR is exactly the
> same as a rocket launcher only it can only fire once.
>
> And using a rocket is ahrdly my idea of CLOSE assault, anyway.

Well, since this keeps coming up, I might as well explain why I asked
the question...

I'm preparing a scenario where a Militia Quality company assaults a
lightly defended hill.	The hill is occupied by six mechs and two
squads.  Here is the breakdown of the forces:

Attacker
(All are regular or green, mostly value 2 leaders (no level 1 leaders)):
Company Command Squad (6 men)
Company Command Security Squad (8 men)

Four platoons, composed of:
Command Squad (with Heavy Weapons) (8 men)
Four Squads of Light Infantry (8 men each)

Mortar Battery (3 tubes)

Attached Air Support (Two Aliens Dropships)
Attached Power Armor platoon

Perhaps (depending on the playtesting) a Battalion level Arty
observer...

Defender  (Most Veteran, with one leader level 1, the rest level 2) :
Two Raidar Mechs  (Air Defense/Anti Vehicle)
Two Spartan Mechs  (Anti-Vehicle/Air Defense)
Two Excalibur Mechs  (Anti Vehicle/Artillery)

Two squads of infantry (10 men each)
One Sniper in one of the squads,
One Machine Gunner in the other squad.

Orbital Artillery, but no observer (I think...)

Ok.  As you can see, it's going to be BIG, and a meat grinder.	I am
expecting the Attacker to have to blow up the mechs with close
assaults, since there are only eight or so major guns for the point
targets, and the defender has those huge monsters making craters
where there used to be assaulting militia...

Regardless, my interest in infantry assaulting vehicles comes from
the fact that not all battles are fought between well supplied and
equipped armies.  The VC disabled helicopters with bamboo sticks,
which to my knowledge were neither explosive nor rocket propelled
(they probably were single use, tho')...  So say I have a scenario
where a mob attacks a small garrison - I think any scout cars
assigned to the garrison would button up (even tanks), and then your
visibility is drastically reduced.  That means people can sneak
behind you and slap explosives in your tin can.  (I'm not saying it
would be easy - Heck, I wouldn't do it! - I'm saying that if the
assaulter passes a confidence test of threat level say two, he/she
can make tha assault...)

On a tangent, risking changing the thrust of the responses from the
question above to this rhetorical question (and being bombarded by
hate mail and flames), the reaction I've seen ("Why would you do
that?!	Fire at them from afar!!") is a product of the American
fascination with Hardware, the concept that SciFi is about nifty toys
and not people, a combination of both, or something completely
different.  I don't want anybody to take this personnally - I don't
even know whose message I'm responding to.  It's just that I wonder
how even asking about simulating such a risky and dangerous maneuver,
which has happened and will keep happening, brings up such a "Don't!"
response...

Too much rambling already.  And I've gotten a lot of help from the
list.  It's just that I find it rather difficult to understand...

Alfredo (small skull) Lorente... ;-)
Alfredo Lorente
Minneapolis, MN
alfredo@bitstream.net

Prev: Re: Re : Chits Next: Re: Re : Chits