Prev: Re : Chits Next: RE: Re : Chits

Re: DS II Personal Walkers

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 06:14:55 -0400
Subject: Re: DS II Personal Walkers

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Alexander Williams wrote:

> If you want to get rules-lawyersly, the same thing all vehicles not
VTOL
> get for not being VTOL; the ability to do different terrain for some
> lesser cost, or /different/ cost, or no cost if you play absent
points.

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow your thoughts here.

If one doesn't play with points, arguing the point costs of this and
that is pretty pointless, IMHO.

If one does, one would probably like the point cost to reflect some real

game parameters instead of e.g. which figures the manufacturer would
like
to sell.

Different vehicle types have different capabilities for different costs.

Whether tracked or wheeled is priced "right" can be analysed, but
somewhat
hard due to the difference in capabilities, e.g. is 2" extra speed in
open terrain worth getting always stuck in woods?

BUT: In this particular case, infantry walkers and their larger brethen
have *almost* identical capabilities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but their

only difference seems to be that infantry walkers get lesser speed for
the same price.

Such a case is much easier to analyse.

True, infantry walkers have smaller target signature. But so do all
small
vehicles compared to their respective larger cousins, and IIRC, none of
those others get extra penalties for having smaller wheels.

You *could* say it's compensation for the extra-large target signature
combat walkers have to deal with. Size 6 signature is much more of a
problem than size 2. Any other explanations (obviously, I'm not with my
books)?

One could also compare infantry walkers with other size 1 vehicles, e.g.

is switching them for armed dune buggies a good idea?

But comparing them to infantry is very hard, because they're totally
different. PBI is PBI and infantry walkers are not -- they're vehicles
with legs. They use different rules for almost everything. A very hard
case for cost effectiveness analysis.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly