Prev: Re: FT/DS Automation Next: Re: Chits in FT/DS/SG

Dirtside questions/ideas...

From: Ryan Montieth Gill <labrg@e...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 20:31:43 -0400
Subject: Dirtside questions/ideas...

I've lurked for a little while and now I make a big post. Forgive me if
they've been discussed before. I tend to read a bit and I've come across
these systems and would like to try them. (Perhaps they'll be included
in
a DSII suppliment.) Please comment and critique...

Cannister/Beehive rounds for use in HKPs, MDCs, and HVCs? I recently got
my hands on a manual from the US Army about artillery systems. Its
mostly
an overview but covers basics of loading, fuzing and the types of
projectiles. One of the really intersting rounds is the M546 APERS
round.

It has 8,000 8 grain steel darts inside that are expelled as it flies
towards the target area. It can be set to arm immediately after leaving
the gun tube or at long range. No medium range setting for some reason.
Really nasty against infantry in soft cover. Sort of a big 155mm
shotgun.
The use in vietnam was very effective in the jungle from accounts I've
read.

In dirtside I would expect this to be really good for use against
infantry. How to show the affects? perhaps a oval shaped template that
is
axialy arranged in the line of fire? Red and yellow chits at double
value
maybe. Yellow chits at half value when behind hard cover. I'd think it
would ignore soft cover and also remove soft cover from the area under
the
template. Range like the weapons standard round. Maybe an additional
point
of cost for the weapon system due to the adaptaion of handling another
ammo type....

Also why not allow artillery to use it for emergency direct fire
missions.
It would certainly make infantry think twice about shooting at an
artillery battery with small arms....

Direct Fire Demolition charges/HE rounds: Severl vehicles on modern use
have a large caliber/short ranged demolition type gun used for bunker
busting. I'd like to incorporate these into my AEV's. It should have a
decent ability to hurt infantry that are dug in. The Russians also have
low velocity 100mm gun on the BMP-3 that is along the same lines. Mainly
for dealing with dug in infantry... What sort of rules there? Short
range,
bad penetration on armour... Say red(or yellow?) against armour, and
red/yellow vs infantry when in open and red when dug in? Same cost as a
HVC since its simple tech. Should it have an advantage in urban combat?
Ala the German Sturm tiger and Russian tanks for the late stages of
WWII.

Fuel Air Explosives/Napalm/JP233: I'm not sure if these are really
covered
by the DFO rules or not. FAE's are a liquid version of the cluster bomb.
Instead of a big bundle of little bomblets, it distributes a fine mist
of
flamable material over a large area, and then detonates it. Very
effective
against soft targets as the overpressure wave is very strong, it is also
an airburst weapon.

Napalm would seem to be a tricky thing, it may be covered by hef, but I
would think it would not help to be dug in against it. It should also
always start fires! Also not as effective versus Armoured vehicles...?

JP233 (british weapon btw) is a double whammy sort of weapon, it consist
of a dispensor mounted under the AC (RAF Tornados in modern times) that
drops two types of bomblets, one is a rocket propelled cratering charge
the other is a anti-personel/material mine to stop the engineers from
fixing the airfield quickly. Perhaps just run it like a MAK/Mine Drop?
One
pod? maybe two?

Flame Throwers: A shortranged weapon for use against infantry in
fortifications. It would obviously start fires and also ignore cover.
What
sort of range? 4" for infantry and 12" for vehicle mounts? How many
chits? Maybe a template?

AC130 variants? I've been waiting for the parts for building an AC130 to
come in. I'll probably hack the bits from a C-141 and C-130 for the AC.
It
would be size 7, and require and exception in the rules for side firing
weapons on a large Aircraft.

- Ryan Montieth Gill  /|\   Scotland Forever  DoD# 0780/AMA/SOHC -
- _ryan.gill@turner.com or labrg@emory.edu_   '85 CB700S 'Mehev' -
- I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.   '72 CB750K 'The Barge' -
- www.mojoski.com/~rgill	     '76 MonteCarlo 'Bumblecrow' -
---		Senator Koella Should go to JAIL !!	       ---
--- Kill someone and leave the accident you should go to jail! ---

Prev: Re: FT/DS Automation Next: Re: Chits in FT/DS/SG