Prev: Re: "Me too" firing. Next: Re: "Me too" firing.

Re: FT Armor

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 15:26:34 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Armor

In message <970602124801_813589287@emout17.mail.aol.com> you wrote:

> << I'm just curious why anyone would bother with shields and lasers.
>  Given the predominence of shields in the game, it makes more sense
>  to use KE weapons, and armour protects from both. >>
>
> Don't forget, KE weapons may only fire through 1 arc while Beam
weapons may
> fire through up to 3 arcs.  Ships with KE weapons will tend to mount
the
> majority of their firepower through the front arc.  This is a
disadvantage
> especially for higher mass ships with less manoeuvrability.  Ships
with beam
> weapons have the advantage of being able to fire broadsides.	The
Kra'vak
> somewhat offset this disadvantage because of their high
manoeuvrability.

That's very true, though is somewhat offset by the fact that
railguns will do more damage against shielded targets than
beam weapons do, so you don't need as many railguns as you need
beams (an A'battery has a slightly longer range, but against a
shields-3 target, a mass 1 railgun does more damage at <30"
than a (mass 3) A battery).

Beams do work out to be better against unprotected targets
though.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Re: "Me too" firing. Next: Re: "Me too" firing.