Prev: Re: FT III: ECM. from originator Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

Re: Wet Thrust - Conversion of FT to WWII

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 15:33:51 -0400
Subject: Re: Wet Thrust - Conversion of FT to WWII

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Dean Gundberg wrote:

>  I did decide that if you double the thousand number of the full load
>  tonnage of ships, it results in a nice number for mass, such as
11,000 ton
>  CA would have a mass of 22, a 70,000 ton BB would have a mass of 140.
>  don't think ships could be built and subject to normal FT rules.  In
this
>  case we are modeling something out there so if the rules don't allow
it
>  but the ship had it, rule overridden.

I had originally thought to do a similar thing with 500 tons equalling 1
mass box but then some designs would never fit within the allotted mass-
i.e. escort carriers of 11-15,000 tons carrying 30 planes.  So idecided
reverse engineer the ships by assigning weapons then calculating boxes
based on actual mass and survivability - e.g. the Bismark having more
boxes to represent higher degree of compartmentalization.

>  This is the area I have put a ot of thought into.  I decided that
each
>  battery type could represent specific gun turrets in WWII ships.  Cs
are
>  dual purpose, Bs are cruiser main guns, and As are BC and BB main
guns.
>  Each battery represents 1 turret on a ship, with a default of 3 guns.

>  Turrets with 2 or 4 guns go up or down a level in damage (see below).
 All
>  batts are effected by screens as normal (screens represent level of
armor)
>  except some batts can not damage ships with high levels of screens.
>  C-batts are 5" dual-purpose guns as on American ships (2 guns in
turret)
>  normal 12" range. They can fire at fighters per the MT rules.  They
can
>  not damage ships with level 2 screens and higher
>
>  B-batts are 6" or 8" guns, a B6 has 8" range bands and only does 1 pt

>  damage on a roll of a 6,  B8 guns have normal 12" range bands and
does
>  damage as normal.  They can not damage ships with level 3 screens and

>  higher.
>
>  A-batts, here is where the real variation comes in with the multiple
sizes
>  of main guns and turrets. These are 'normals' with 3 guns in a turret
>	  Batt	  Gun Size    Range Bands    Damage
>	  A10	  10"-11"	  10"	     4-1, 5-1, 6-1
>	  A12	  12"-13"	  12"	     4-1, 5-1, 6-2
>	  A14	  14"-15"	  14"	     4-1, 5-2, 6-2
>	  A16	  16"-17"	  16"	     4-2, 5-2, 6-2
>	  A18	  18"+		  18"	     4-2, 5-2, 6-3
>
>  If a turret if of 2x15" guns, damage is as one class lower but range
bands
>  stay at the 15" level.  If a turret of 4x14" guns, damage is one
class
>  higher, but range is still at the 14" level.

I made simple assumptions for gunnery C bats represent 5-7" guns at the
following rate - 2 5"=1 C bat, 6" are 1 for 1 and 7" are 2 for 3 C bats.
B bats are 8-12" with 8 costing 3 for 2, 10" costing 1 for 1 and 12"
costing 2 for 3 B batts.  A bats are the big guns with 14" 3 for 2, 16"
1
for 1 and 18" 2 for 3".  Odd sizes such as 15 are runded up to the next
larger ratio so 15" would be counted as 1 for 1 as 16".  There are
massive
gernalities here but the idea was to keep it fairly simple to make
sheets
from stats.  Arcs are left standard PSFA with most secondaries only
firing
P or S.  There are 2 types of 5", anti-ship and Dual purpose which are
designated by having a triangle within the circle.

Armor is based on belt thickness with 0-2.9 being level 0, 3-5.9 being
level 1, 6-8.9 being level 2 , 9-11.9 being level 3 and 12+ being level
3
with extra armor boxes that come before normal hull boxes, approximately
5
boxes per inch of belt above 12. e.g. Iowa class get 5 more boxes and
the
Yamoto gets 15 (should get 20 but I think that's excessive)

I'll be trying out some of these ideas this weekend with a battle
between
2 Massachusetts Class battleships, Yorktown and 6 destroyers against the
Bismark, Graf Spee, Yamoto and 6 destroyers.  I'll probably write up a
quick summary of game to post.

Other ideas that are still in the works are submarines, AS warfare,
smoke
screens and land-based heavy bombers. in additon there are some national
differences in terms of planes, i.e. American fighters are armored to
level 1 while japanese fighters ave higher speeds - 18" move.

--Binhan

Prev: Re: FT III: ECM. from originator Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.