Prev: Re: Storage & Transportation Next: Re: No more GW bashing! Hehehe.

FT III: ECM

From: "John M. Huber" <jhuber@o...>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 14:56:53 -0400
Subject: FT III: ECM

One thing bothers me about ECM, ECCM, Stealth, Sensors, and the like is
the
great variety of matter and energy in space.  I believe some of the
earlier
concepts involving cloaking technology involved "bending light" around
an
object so you can "see" it.  So you wait for the ship to move through a
comet's tail and look for the wake the cloaked ship makes.

Now we know about solar winds, radio pulses, radiation,
micro-meteorites,
"dark matter", etc. etc.  A physical object moving through the aether
[not
sure of the exact spelling at this moment but I'm refering to the fact
that
"space" is not a "vacuum"] is going to bounce, absorb, reflect, leave a
trail,
as it moves OR as the aether moves around it.

I feel that, at best, systems that jam the guidance systems of
torpedoes,
fly-by fighters and the like might be closest we could ever really come
to any
sort of ECM system.

Even making a ship "invisible" to a torpedo will still leave some kind
of
wake.  All the targeting system has to do is determine the edges of the
wake
and target one of the edges/sides of the wake.

Granted, this is Science Fiction and we can do just about anything.
But, will
adding this level of complexity actually add to the game flow and
enjoyment?

Your Thoughts?	Comments?

Sincerely
John M. Huber

Prev: Re: Storage & Transportation Next: Re: No more GW bashing! Hehehe.