Prev: Re: Location, Location, Location... Next: Re: Location, Location, Location...

Re: Star Grunts Point System -- the Reason Why

From: Jerry McVicker <gmcvicke@w...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 20:47:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Grunts Point System -- the Reason Why

At 07:53 PM 5/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
>The only reason I want a points system, for any game, is so I can
figure out
>how to integrate the forces into a campaign game.  I need some way of
judging
>(for potentially a large group of people) how many soldiers, tanks,
ships,
>etc. they can produce/train/field based on their national economy.
>
>An actual game would have nothing to do with points.  Players who get
lots of
>hi-tech troops to a critical point at the right time are going to beat
the
>snot out of an opponent whose strategic thinking isn't up to par.  That
said,
>the campaign is no way to play "fun" games to introduce someone to the
hobby.
> Most, if not all games will be heavily unbalanced, yet the loser may
be able
>to declare a strategic victory because he held back the hordes/gained
>time/etc.  But that won't be apparent on the table.
>
>OTOH, we do have a set of standards indicating maximum allowable force
>compositions that prevent a very powerful player from totally
overwhelming a
>less powerful one.  But it all fits within the context of the campaign
--
>there's a reason for it.
>
>But without a points system, there simply is no convenient way to allow
>players to build troops in our campaign context.

You are playing the wrong game!  If you want to try a campaign with an
entire planet or nation, you should move up to Dirtside!!  A campaign in
Stargrunt should cover no more than maybe the activities of 4th Company
or
perhaps 1st. Platoon.  This game is NOT about strategy, its about
TACTICS.
It makes no difference in the long run whether 1st. Platoon met its
objectives or not, it will have no real bearing on the entire war.  The
reason for playing is to play a small engagements on the whole of a huge
battle!    It is the challenge of overcoming the obstacles that a small
unit
leader would face.  Let's face it, Lt. doesn't give a shit how the war
is
going, as long as he follows orders and keeps his and his troops butts
alive.	This is what Jon meant about doing well despite your troops.
Stargrunt is about having fun. You said, "the campaign is no way to play
"fun" games to introduce someone to the hobby" so why would you want to
do
it?   Sure campaigns are more realistic, but they are certainly not fun.
 If
you're just playing to gain the strategic edge on someone so you can
overwhelm them in a lop sided battle, this game is not for you.   All
battles are NOT balanced, it rarely is in warfare, but who wants to play
them?	I have no interest in playing a one sided battle, no matter
which
side I'm on.  That said,  most people want a points system to play
"Balanced" games without having to "think" about force composition and
scenario objectives.  You want a points system to play a campaign game?
 As
we can see, a points system means nothing.  The only reason we would
strive
to make a balanced game is so it will be FUN to play!!!!   Both sides
having
a chance to pull off victory!!	In the scope of the war it may matter
squat
that 1st. Platoon took that building during the game.  If they would
fail,
HQ would just send up another platoon to do it or call in an air strike
blow the building away.  The point is, as a force commander, you are
given a
job to do.  Your enemy is given the job of stopping you from completing
your
objectives.  That is the basis for all scenarios.  Once you've completed
that task, you can pat yourself on the back for a job well done.  If you
screw it up, you can look at it and ask, "What did I do wrong?"  In the
end
the game should have been fun.	 If you try to turn this in to an all
expansive campaign game, you will fail.  If you try to place a "points"
value to any thing  in the game, it will prove you wrong.  Need
inspiration?
Grab any war history book, don't read the whole thing, just some of the
battles.  Then juice it up with a more futuristic tone, and Bingo!  You
have
a scenario.

Jerry McVicker

"Don't worry soldier, weapons will be available in a moment."

Blackwind and Raddix Gaming
http://www.imagixx.net/~bnrgames
bnrgames@imagixx.net

Prev: Re: Location, Location, Location... Next: Re: Location, Location, Location...