Prev: Re: Torpedo question Next: Re: FTF Standard File Formats for PBEM/Utilities

Re: Star Grunts Point System (Hot spots still exist...)

From: Phil <pepourne@n...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 14:32:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Grunts Point System (Hot spots still exist...)

At 11:09 PM 5/27/97 -0400, Jerry McVicker  wrote:

>>4.2	Sniper				10ot + sniper weapon and armour
>>

>No Way!!  Snipers are HUGE in this game...they shouldn't even be
allowed but
>by scenerio only!!!  That's just one comment...I have other..but I say
no
more..

	One of the reasons that snipers are so effective is the
importance
of the leadership of a unit and the granularity of the decision making
capability of the units.  If every squad of 5 guys in a platoon of say
20,
can operate on thier own and attack a seperate target, that force will
generally be more effective than another platoon of 20 guys with one
leader
who can attack only one target...  Snipers are deadly because they
quickly
decapitate the leadership of forces and reduce the morale etc of the
forces...
	So this brings up two questions:  What are the effects of
leaders
(and therefore their relative worth) and what are the effects of snipers
(in
the future other characters) and what are their relative value?
	Jerry's point about the disasterous effectiveness of a sniper
illustrates how much abuse can exist in an open mathematic system,
especially to those who have not played before...
	I wish to thank Darryl Adams for providing more light than heat
in
the discussion.  I will take a look at your point system proposal, they
seem
reasonable on first examination.

Prev: Re: Torpedo question Next: Re: FTF Standard File Formats for PBEM/Utilities