Prev: Full Thrust Format (FTF) - a question Next: Full Thrust Format (FTF) - a question

Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 08:28:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder

Stuart Ford writes:
@:) ----------
@:) > From: Darryl Adams <root@vanguard.tig.com.au>
@:)
@:) > Nooooo!!!!! Please keep it in Java so that Unix & OS/2 people
@:) > can use it (which I am both)
@:)
@:) JAVA Builder is a full GUI based FT Ship and Base designer that I
@:) made just to test a conversion of my JavaScript SpaceDock from my
@:) old web page.  The problem is, it needs to talk to a network
@:) server in order to store the Ship files.  That's why I was
@:) planning on Windows.

  Only Java APPLETS have (security) problems reading and writing
files.	Java APPLICATIONS have no such difficulties.  Since your plan
is apparently to have people download your program and run it on their
local machines, I would suggest spending the 30-60 minutes it would
take to convert your existing applet into an application and
distributing that.  Yes there are a lot of UNIX, OS/2, Mac etc people
out here.

@:) If there is enough call, I will continue work on it also, but the
@:) Windows Version is my priority now.  If there are enough Unix
@:) people out there, I could always port it to X.

  Lame.  Sorry, but that would be lame.  I guess I am spoiled because
I live in the future but porting just seems really antique to me.

@:) In the windows version, I'm going to add the ability to play PBEM
@:) games directly from the program, it will send the mail messages
@:) and receive them from a POP3 mail server.

  This would be neat.  Please keep us apprised of your progress!

-joachim

PS Yes I am an employee of Sun Microsystems and yes in fact my job is
programming in Java but I still think, despite all the hype, that it's
the way to go - especially for non-time-critical apps like the one
described here.  The ability to run stuff anywhere is really a big
bonus for a heterogeneous group like our list here.  That's why I
wrote my ship construction applet in Java and why I think others
should too.

Prev: Full Thrust Format (FTF) - a question Next: Full Thrust Format (FTF) - a question