Prev: Re: Star Grunts Point System (Beware flame war erupting...) Next: Re: Star Grunts Point System

Re: Star Grunts Point System (Beware flame war erupting...)

From: Chun Wang <cwang@d...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 20:03:28 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Grunts Point System (Beware flame war erupting...)

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Phil wrote:
>	  I don't have the time to sit down and do the point analysis of
> weapons effects, movement, etc.  I spend enough of my time in High
order
> mathematics as it is.  I pay game designers to write and evaluate good
game
> designs.  The games should be well design, smooth in operation and
have done
> the complex algebra required to ensure that value of units mean what
they
> are rated for.
>	  This gives me a common mathematical language to use to
evaluate a
> scenario without having to examine the die types, expected values
> maneuverability ratings and Skirtosis in the rules mechanics to then
> generate a scenario.	Give me a thumb nail point system and then I can
take
> into account all the other variables we've been talking about.
>	  Some of us have a living to make and do not have the time to
waste
> to generate a common standard to start from before making the myriad
> adjustments required.  If you don't want to use the point system, then
> please ignore that portion, it took up a whole two pages in DSII...
>	  If you don't want to play against the power point players,
etc.
> Then don't play them.  There is far more room for abuse in an open
> mathematical system than in a closed one.
>	  Phil Pournelle

Geez guys... calm down...

Can we just have an OPTIONAL point system? If someone want to use it go
ahead. If you hate point system don't use it.

Phil: if you want to a point system, I think someone wrote a testing
point system a while back, use that and modify it. You can ask that
person to post the point system again.

*
*"To be or not to be that is the question."
*
*To be is infinite better then to be in the limbo flowing around...
*
*So.....			 Get a life... :)
*
*Chun-Kai Wang a.k.a. Kevin, Zelt, and Zilvra Argith
*
*

Prev: Re: Star Grunts Point System (Beware flame war erupting...) Next: Re: Star Grunts Point System