Prev: Re: FT Armor Next: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 11:13:42 -0400
Subject: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

@:) > Mark wrote:
@:) >  The current system leads to"me too" firing which is rather
@:) >  annoying when you think about it.

  I'd like to clear up some terminology here.  The current system IS a
"me too" firing system - more precisely it's an alternating firing
system where each player gets to fire from one ship at a time.	The
typical definition I've heard of a "me too" problem is when you have
simultaneous fire but no great effort is made to declare fire
simultaneously (SFB is generally played this way).  Now one person
says "I am firing this turn" and the other guy panics and says "me
too" but really they should have both spoken at the same time and the
second guy wouldn't have fired.  FT does not suffer from this
difficulty, but it might if it had a simultaneous firing system.

maffu@dimensional.com writes:

@:)	I feel that the standing fire system should be left just as it
@:) is, as tactics are indeed the call of the day there.  When both
@:) sides fire at the same time and record no damage until the end of
@:) the turn then the game because little more than a slugging match,
@:) and the only tactics involved are the initial manuvers of the
@:) ships before they close to unleash their firepower.

  I tend to agree.  The FT turn is too coarse-grained, and thrusts are
too low, to allow for the kind of manouverability that would make up
for the loss of the current firing system.  Although generally I
prefer simultaneous damage, I the non-simultaneous system adds a lot
to FT.

-joachim

Prev: Re: FT Armor Next: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.