Prev: RE: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together. Next: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

RE: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

From: Darryl Adams <root@v...>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 12:06:13 -0400
Subject: RE: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Glover, Owen wrote:

> IMHO the concerns about points systems should not be that great.
Unless
> one is involved in a tournament then the game should run along
scenario
> lines devised by a third party.

1. The game is being run as a demo at SAGA 97.

2. We had no idea of relative power of units (we are familiar with
vehicals, but agin the different scales supprised us in certian ways)

3. Technolagy is hard to guage (while Mick had numerical supiority, I
had
the tech supiority).

4. Mick was also lucky as my gunship aborted in turn 2 due to air
defence
(It was also a green unit, it survivability was questionable)

All this cries out for points. Sure I have no problems allowing
scenerios
to define force deployments, but until we have a better undertanding of
what effect any given unit can have in battle, a point system would be
nice.

> In reality any contact/firefight will never be "balanced". At the
level
> of SGII (Company/Squadron) the forces involved would never give a
> definite outcome if facing off on equal sizes ie Coy vs Coy. Most
likely
> outcome is going to be both sides withdraw or a Pyhrric victory.

Fine in theory, but for a demo game , and aiming at people jerked of GW,
point system will allow them to slide into the system better.

> For an assault situation most modern armies operate on odds of
(MINIMUM)
> 3 to 1. And if you are facing a dug in well sited defensive position
you
> better hope for plenty of armour or engineer and arty as well!!
>
> For that matter about AFVs; I really think that SGII is not designed
as
> a tank vs tank game. MICVs and infantry with the occasional tank
thrown
> in to give the grunt a bad hair day!?

1 heavy tank on either side would have one the day (if it did not get
blown away with a lucky shot).

------
Darryl Adams
dadams@tig.com.au

"The rich kid becomes a junkie,
The poor kid , advertising,
What a tragic waste of potential
Being a junkie is not great either"

TISM : "Greg the Stop Sign"

Prev: RE: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together. Next: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.