Prev: MZ Campaing Report Next: Superior Models are now available!

FT III Wishlist

From: "Michael Blair" <amfortas@h...>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 06:39:38 -0400
Subject: FT III Wishlist

FT III Wishlist

1. ELECTRONIC WARFARE
Better use of electronic warfare, ECM and sensors. Maybe I'm just
pining for
GDWs Star Cruiser, but this should be really important,
you can't shoot what you can't see. I have seen some nice ideas on this
posted
here.

2. SIX FIRING ARCS
The diagrams are really easy to do, draw two concentric circles, write
the
Battery letter in the middle (A, B ...) and draw six lines from the
centre out
to outer circle, This leaves the six sectors, shade in any you CANNOT
fire into.
The inner circle and letter should be on top.
   By hand it is a bit of a bitch but on a decent vector graphics
program it is
easy (I like Draw Plus, c. 1991, for the Archimedes, I have yet to see
any PC
package that comes close and it is free!).

3. SHIP STRENGTH
In warships (WW I/II vintage) there were roughly four different    ship
strengths:
Merchants	Hah!
Light	Weak and cheap (escorts, small cruisers, Fisher's freak BCs)
Medium	Cruisers and Battle Cruisers
Heavy	Battleships

These were a measure of armour and strength as well as
compartmentalisation and
damage control.
   A small ship could be heavily built (monitors) or a large one lightly
built
(Courageous).
   I am not sure how this could be handled in the game but I think it is
an
important concept.

4. ENDURANCE
A ship could trade endurance and range for protection or weapons.
   In FT non-starships go some way to display this but I would like to
see the
ability to vary a starships range, I believe the fleet train and support
should
be an important part of campaign games.

5. SHIP COSTS
I agree that balance in scenarios should not be based on price but for
campaigns
I could not work without costs. So DON'T KILL DESIGN COSTS.

6. ARMOUR
Armour stops damage penetrating, it does not stop hits.
A (bad) suggestion:
Armour adds hit boxes at the end of each row of hit boxes, use a
different shape
(round). For each row after the first there is one less armour box, so a
ship
with 3 levels of armour has 3 might look like this:

[][][][][][] OOO
[][][][][][] OO
[][][][][][] O
[][][][][][]

   The armour does slowly degrade.
   Each time the ship is hit no damage penetrates unless it exceeds the
AV, eg.
with lvl. 2 armour a hit must do three or more damage to penetrate at
all.
   Armour should be very expensive and heavy, I liked the NSL variant
armour
idea where it reduces acceleration (author forgotten but you can get
there from
the Unofficial Hame Page).
   Three should probably be the maximum armour level, small ships should
not be
capable of carrying significant armour without making great sacrifices
(monitors...).

   I like the idea of sensors and weapon mounts being scraped off the
hull but I
am not sure how to model this.
  Armour should affect all damage except needle and EMP hits, maybe
other
weapons could be given this 'soft' damage capability. Maybe some weapons
should
be armour piercing, reducing the effective AV or ignoring it (eg.
torpedoes).

Thank you for listening.

By the way, the code for super dreadnaughts should probably be DNS, not
SDN. the
latter does not seem to fit the naming scheme, and I'll be damned if
I'll change
now just to suit the rest of the world! Then of course I'm from Ulster
(Northern
Ireland) and being thran (bloody minded) is one thing we are all good at
here.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/1070/index.html
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/1070/index.html">Home
Plate</A>

Prev: MZ Campaing Report Next: Superior Models are now available!