Prev: Re: Weber Book Next: Sa'Vasku Ship Design

Re: Under Fire-DS2

From: schoyt@f...
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 01:43:28 -0400
Subject: Re: Under Fire-DS2

> I'm not sure it really works; the PBI would /like/ to move fast out of
> there if their officers could get them to obey orders, its that
> reluctance to move that is modeled with the rules as stands.	When
> morale falters, they don't do the intelligent thing (which would be to
> hightail it out of there).

On the contrary - battle drill for dismounted infantry under artillery
fire is to go to ground for the initial round, then the squad/platoon
leader will give a clock direction/distance to rally at ("Five o'clock,
400 meters!").	Individuals then sprint to the designated rally point to
regroup and resume the mission.  Troops are only too happy to leave the
impact area - the officers/NCOs problem is get them to STOP running.
Paul is correct for the vehicle battle drill - SOP is to move out
swiftly, with the platoon leader designating the rally point to regroup
at.

In game terms, this would translate as:

  At the intitial spotting round (the placement of the one/two markers
face down on the table), the targeted unit can opt to attempt to move
out of the impact area.  This is done a la the method described in
another post using a clock direction template, rolling for direction,
then moving a distance of 1.5 times their base movement - this is an
all-out sprint, without regard to using the terrain in a tactical
manner.  If already activated for the turn, this uses the next turn's
activation, which must be spent performing a "regroup" action.	If not
already activated, this uses the activation for the unit as a "regroup"
action at the point of final movement.	For a unit that already has an
"Under Fire" marker on it from a previous direct fire, a reaction test
must first be passed before it can exercise the option to move from the
beaten zone (no one is going to leap up and run in the open when fire is
raking their position - at least not without some thought or threats
directed at them).

I know it seems that instinct would prevail over training (staying in
cover, rather than running), but consider
the words of this Marine Corps Vietnam veteran: "At basic training, they
taught us that the reaction to an ambush was to turn towards the firing
and assault.  I thought they were out of their mind, but it was basic
training and you didn't question what you were told, if you were smart.
I told myself I would dive for cover if an ambush ever occurred and take
it from there.	We practiced battle drills constantly and, sure enough,
during my first ambush, right after I had jumped out of my skin at the
surprise of being fired on so closely, I didn't even hestitate when I
turned into the incoming fire and charged, firing and yelling as I
went.  I was pretty shaken afterwards, thinking what I had done, but the
training took hold of me." (From "Firefights in Vietnam").

Sean

Prev: Re: Weber Book Next: Sa'Vasku Ship Design