Prev: Re: Weber Book Next: Re: Under Fire DS2

Re: Under Fire-DS2

From: Paul Calvi <tanker@r...>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 12:51:06 -0400
Subject: Re: Under Fire-DS2

At 10:58 AM 5/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm not sure it really works; the PBI would /like/ to move fast out of
>there if their officers could get them to obey orders, its that
>reluctance to move that is modeled with the rules as stands.  When
>morale falters, they don't do the intelligent thing (which would be to
>hightail it out of there).

Nope. Standard SOP for a tank platoon is to MOVE. As I said in a
previous
post, imagine the tank next to YOU just went up in flames, maybe YOU'RE
next! Are you gonna sit there or MOVE?! SOP is the same for artillery
attacks. If a tank platoon is moving along and artillery starts to fall
around it SOP says button up and MOVE...FAST! The unknown is always
assumed
to be better than the known, which in this case is sitting in the middle
of
an artillery barrage. Please see below...

>If you /really/ want armour to move as a first resort, it should
>probably be worded as `armour UNDER FIRE move at top speed towards the
>nearest cover, there to dig in and not move until the UNDER FIRE
>marker is removed.'  Frankly, I'm not keen on that rule changing; I
>see armour under fire going into `in place' positions (behind
>hillocks, in a fold of the ground) that doesn't rate showing on the
>board when they 'freeze.'

This is perfectly reasonable. The unit decides it better seek a bit of
cover but in DS2 the units don't do that, they can't move, they are
sitting
ducks for more fire. So, your initial idea of having them move to cover
is
fine. My only complaint is that the spirit of armor is movement and most
tankers wouldn't go hide, they just want to move out of fire and try to
see
who/what is shooting at them so they can shoot back. Now this could be a
great addition to the quality rules. Green units just sit there, Regular
seek cover, and Veteran move fast at player's direction. How about
that??

-----
Paul J. Calvi Jr.
tanker@rahul.net

"Objective, Offense, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command,
Security, Surprise, Simplicity"

15SEP16

Prev: Re: Weber Book Next: Re: Under Fire DS2