Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fuel, Ramjets, and the Darwin Awards (was Re: in 'defense' of FT missiles... ;-) )

Re: Hitting planets with comets

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 06:43:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Hitting planets with comets

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Kyle Klingler wrote:

> I've been told that in the Japanese animation series Gundam (sp) movie
> Char's Counterattack Char purchases an asteroid from someone (Earth, I
> believe) and then turns around and launches it at Earth.

Yup... they do this A LOT in Gundam. They chuck down big rocks, big
rocks
with bases on 'em and even (uninhabited) O'Neill stations. Sydney and
Tibet are among the casualties, and I think Ireland in ZZ. But they
never
chuck rocks at spacebases.

> I wish I had
> seen, just to see if enough mechs could stop it or did they have to
use a
> "special" bomb.

Actually, they used psychic powers to stop it... But they did try to
capture it before it crossed the point-of-no-return and failing that,
blowing it up from inside.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly