Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: B5 Wars miniatures from AOG

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 04:05:50 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

On Tue, 6 May 1997, mgrover wrote:

> what about mounting your own missiles on the base, the base should be
> able to hold quite a bit more missiles than a mid range attacking
fleet.

Won't work. Let me demonstrate:

I arrive at 60" range of your station.

Turn 1: I launch, you launch. At the same time, my Thr8 ships execute a
4-pt turn and thrust away. They will not get a single inch closer.
Missiles move 18".

Turn 2: I thrust away. I'm now about 70" away from your station.
Missiles move 18".

Turn 3: I might as well stop here. Missiles move their last 18".
My missiles are 6" from you station and attack. Your missiles are
something like 15" from my ships, and fail to attack anything.

I reload from my supply ships and repeat the procedure.

> not to mention that most bases are built around planets, the gound
based
> defenses might have something to say about all these ships taking pot
> shots at the base.

Doesn't matter, unless you invent new weapons with greatly improved
ranges.
If the base isn't in range, the planet most certainly won't be.

Btw: Don't you think it's funny: A missile is TWICE the mass of a
fighter (at least), LESS maneuverable, yet point defenses are
considerably less effective against them?

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: B5 Wars miniatures from AOG