Prev: Re: FT: Cutters?! Next: B5 Wars miniatures from AOG

Re: Hitting planets with comets

From: "And yah, up CLOSE I'm a threat. Beyond range 12 I'm an amusement..." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 19:52:25 -0400
Subject: Re: Hitting planets with comets

>>	So... let's apply what you said to planets... Mmmm... planet
cannot
>>move... so we track a hugh asteriod to drop on the planets.... we
should
>>get the same effect as nuclear winter or ice age on earth(If I am
wrong
>>feel free to correct me.). Therefor, planet is not really defendable
>>either... (I think some body else mentioned drop a hugh rock on
planets
>>too.)
>	 To get an idea of just how bad it would really be to be hit by
>comet read the original story on the subject, Lucifer's Hammer.  You'll
find
>it in many book stores with Niven's other work in the Science Fiction
section.

To get some real visuals (okay, of a gas giant, but you'll get the idea
in
a moment), see also the 1994 Jupiter/Comet Shoemaker-Levy Encounter at:

    http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/Comet/Comet_6.html

There are a number of good GIF images here.

I would direct your attention to the G impact site. The inner diameter
of
the outer ring is a bit more than 7,400 miles across - nearly the size
of
Earth. The thinner, inner ring is 'only' 4,600 miles in diameter.

Any questions?

Mk
-
  /@		       .  .	      If you insist on reaching for a
  <|\			  .  )	      star, be prepared to take a long,
   |		     /\ 	      hard fall.
   |		    //
   /		 o //*		      Indy - climber, astronomer,
adventurer
  /		<%- /|\ 	      supreme. Have rope, will travel.

Prev: Re: FT: Cutters?! Next: B5 Wars miniatures from AOG