Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 11:46:13 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Mikko Kurki-Suonio writes:
@:) On Mon, 5 May 1997, Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:

@:) > There are many possible solutions, all of which are scenario
@:) > related (back to that topic again).
@:)
@:) I don't like that. It forces the attacker to play like an idiot.
@:) More plausible would be a technological item only available to
@:) bases (due to size, cost etc.)

  Any such item MUST be available to ships as well or it forces ME to
design like an idiot.

@:) Like:
@:)
@:) Base Meteor Defense System (BMDS)
@:)
@:) The system automatically neutralizes small particles such as sand
@:) clouds.  Predictably moving small objects such as missiles are
@:) automatically intercepted and neutralized at the
@:) perimeter. Fighters can actually dodge the system....

  Sounds like a sand field, but less explainable.

@:) Mass: 30 Points: 100

  Hey, it's OK by me as long as I can mount it on my carrier.

@:) >  If you're playing a one-off base attack scenario, set low entry
@:) > speeds for the attacking ships.  Assume they haven't fired until
@:) > they get closer.
@:)
@:) Won't work. I'd just high tail out and set up the approach again.

  Then you've got a new scenario and your GM can start you off at a
low speed again!  That's what GMs are for.

@:) >	Sand Field
@:)
@:) Doesn't work against missiles.

  Uh, last I heard missiles take damage.  If Pournelle's sand cloud
doesn't damage missiles, you can consider that ability amended to my
sand field.

@:) IMHO, this is not about optimization. This is about suspension of
@:) disbelief. The more things you explain away with "things are just
@:) not done that way", the harder it gets to enjoy the game.

  I don't think it's a matter of how things ARE done as much as a
matter of how things CAN be done.  Bases are not left undefended.
Attackers cannot move completely undetected.  Defenders know how to do
their jobs.  None of these are radical ideas - and it's only by
ignoring them that you can really get into some of the situations
you've been describing.

  Here's an example.  I want to accelerate to speed 1000" so I can
deliver a completely devastating sandcaster attack on the local enemy
base station.  I have a bunch of ships with thrust 8.  It's going to
take me 125 turns to get up to speed.  That's a long time - where is
the fleet assigned to defend the station during this time?  They're
out there kicking my ass is where they are!  The fleet vs base
scenario is just not plausible, as scenarios go.

  Anyway, all that said, I do think sand should disperse some time
after launch - maybe three turns, maybe more.  That would reduce some
of these problems by allowing the defenders to intercept the attackers
three turns (or whatever) away from the target and be guaranteed that
the weapons won't be able to hit.  As for whether the defenders should
be able to intercept at all, that's a matter for your campaign system
or your general understanding of how your game universe works to
decide.  I would recommend, for playability's sake, that you allow it.

-joachim

Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII