Prev: Re[2]: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: RE: Re :FT Mailing List

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 03:26:23 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

On Mon, 5 May 1997 TEHughes@aol.com wrote:

>    Has anyone REALLY figures out just how they would aim this Rock?

Just calculate the trajectories. There aren't very many major
unpredictable factors in space. And even less are modeled in FT :-)

> All
> modern, that is Beam & Missile systems employ continious feedback to
home in
> their attacks.

And plain old artillery never hits anything, eh?

> A Beam system employs a reference beam to lock in on the
> target before releasing the major energy discharge that constitutes a
shot. A

What are you referring to? A real world weapon system?

> All
> a station would have to do is eject 50 tons of garbage or use it's
attitude
> jets to get a couple of rock diameters out of the path, and a miss is
a miss,
> two feet or two  million feet.

True, but gamewise stations don't move. Period. And even if they did,
they'd move verrrrry slowly, which is no help against missiles.

> The only way would be to put a guidance system
> on the rock and a detonation system to turn it into highspeed gravel.

> that's beginning to sound like a regular missile doesn't it ?

Well, regular missiles are ALSO problematic.

As you might have guessed, the problem here is not that there is a
particular weapon system that can easily destroy immobile stations
from outside their weapon ranges.

The problem is that such weapons exist AT ALL. Be they missiles, sand
clouds, planetoids, kamikaze ships or whatever.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re[2]: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: RE: Re :FT Mailing List