Prev: Re: when do fighters move Next: Re[2]: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 02:58:59 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:

>   The issue is one of playability.  People like to have bases, people
> like to attack them, weapons are available that are inimical to base
> use.

Exactly! There is a gap between the logical conclusion of momentum-based

weapons (and missiles to certain extent) and the general idea of space
operaish combat.

That doesn't meant there aren't other such gaps. We just invoke a bit of

hand-waving PSB and forget about it.

>There are many possible solutions, all of which are scenario
> related (back to that topic again).

I don't like that. It forces the attacker to play like an idiot.
More plausible would be a technological item only available
to bases (due to size, cost etc.)

Like:

Base Meteor Defense System (BMDS)

A combitination of point defense systems, energy fields and
tractor/pressor beams, BMDS protects bases from errant meteors, assorted
space junk and the occasional missile.

BMDS projects a defensive perimeter 6" from the station edge.

The system automatically neutralizes small particles such as sand
clouds.
Predictably moving small objects such as missiles are automatically
intercepted and neutralized at the perimeter. Fighters can actually
dodge
the system, roll 4+ on d6 to successfully lock on to each fighter group
and
stop it penetrating the perimeter.
Physical shots not directly represented on the table (subpacks, railgun
shots etc.) are not completely stopped due to <mumble, mumble>. Count
the range for each shot as 6" greater than actual.

BMDS has no effect on objects inside the defensive perimeter.

Mass: 30 Points: 100

>  If you're playing a one-off base
> attack scenario, set low entry speeds for the attacking ships.  Assume
> they haven't fired until they get closer.

Won't work. I'd just high tail out and set up the approach again.

>   Sand Field
[Clip]

Doesn't work against missiles.

> extreme.  I know, I know, optimization is eternal.  I say let the
> optimizer win once and then write a house rule.  And optimize yourself
> - it will only make the entire gaming universe more rich in the end.

IMHO, this is not about optimization. This is about suspension of
disbelief. The more things you explain away with "things are just not
done that way", the harder it gets to enjoy the game.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: when do fighters move Next: Re[2]: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII