Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: Bogey Markers

From: Sandy Goh <sandy@a...>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 15:56:27 -0400
Subject: Re: Bogey Markers

On Mon, 5 May 1997 15:00:46 -0400, you wrote:

>I just recently painted up two dozen bogey markers, and now I'm ready
to put
>ID letters on them. What do you use for IDs?
>
>I'd prefer to ID them with a single letter denoting ship class and a
number
>for the marker. Escorts are easy, as you can label them E# (as in E1,
E2,
>E3, etc.). How do would you denote capital ships and cruisers?
>
>I'm just wondering if there is some sort of standard out there.

We (any many SF games) use a bastardised version of the USN ship
classification system. BB Battleship; DN Dreadnought; BC
Battlecruiser; CA Heavy Cruiser; CL Light cruiser; DD Destroyer; FF
Frigate; ES Escort; CT Corvette; PT Patrol boat; AO auxillary oiler
(fuel tanker); AOR auxillary oiler & replenishment ship, etc.

The main advantage of the system is that you can show variants by
adding a third letter. A means armoured/heavy, G guided armament
(missiles), V carrier, B battle, C Command (there are others). So a CG
is a missile cruiser; a CL a light cruiser; a CVA is a heavy carrier;
a CV is a carrier; DDG is missile armed destroyer; DE is an escort
destroyer; CC is a command cruiser (CA with more guns and an extra
bridge for the commodore), and so forth.

Note that the USN system is _real_ complex. I don't recommend using it
straight off (do you really need a code for "small auxillary coastal
minesweeper")?

Sandy Goh (sandy@artica.demon.co.uk)

Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII