Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

RE: MechaZone 556 Campaign report #1

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 03:01:40 -0400
Subject: RE: MechaZone 556 Campaign report #1

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Binhan Lin wrote:

> Have they tried the munchkin torpedo boat attack?  40+ PT boats will
put a
> dent in any fleet composed of ships bigger than an escort.

Remember, this is a campaign. You can't waltz off to buy new ships just
because you lost a battle. The time frame probably will not allow any
replacements at all, unless they come from newly allied nations drawn
into the war.

Even if someone did have this big a force of PT boats, I don't know...
The 15 missile volley was a snack for the 14 interceptor groups. They
could have taken twice, maybe thrice that. Ofcourse you can swamp any
defenses given sufficiently overwhelming force, but will it be worth the

cost? Do you *have* what it would cost?

> Or with
> fighters, a load of mixed attack and torpedo fighters will rapidly
blow
> through shielded vessels.

A couple of problems:

You need a HUGE fighter force to get past the 14-20 interceptor groups.
Even an intact torp group does only about 10 points average damage.
Attack fighters don't fare too well either, their combat endurance gives

them only average 6 points total against Screen-3 ships.

Fighter defenses on really big ships seems to boil down to: Is worth it
to spend mass in defenses against attacks that are likely to cause
insignificant damage anyway?

> Alternatively with their low thrust these ships
> seem to be begging for Nova or Wavegun fire, perhaps a few cruisers
> mounting wave guns would be effective, then thrust away and take
another
> shot later...

These technologies are not allowed in the campaign.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII