Prev: Re: IFF aid, please... Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: IFF aid, please...

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+@C...>
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 19:25:58 -0400
Subject: Re: IFF aid, please...

Excerpts from FT: 4-May-97 Re: IFF aid, please... by Ground Zero
Games@gzero.
> >Then there are...
> >
> >	       =====
> >    ___	 \  \		  ___
> >   /   \   -------------------=|__|
> >  (	   )==| 		|=|__| Engine arrangement: O
> >   \   /   -------------------=|__|			  O O
> >    ---	 /  /
> >	       =====
> >

> >	  ,======
> >	 //	\\
> >	//	 \\___.
> >   /-||    __  ||  |
> >  (	||===|	|_||  |
> >   \-||    --  ||__|
> >	\\	 //
> >	 \\	//
> >	  =======
> >
> >(very poor picture, though...)
>
> OK, think I know these two - they are NOT Superior ships, but some
from a
> boxed set produced by GRENADIER a long while ago (late 70s?);

Oh, hey!  Yeah!  Alrighty, the top one looks a *lot* like the Medium
Cruiser in Grenadier's "Space Squadrons" line, which I picked up ~20
blisters or so some while back.  There are actually two variants, one is
slightly larger and has two raised surfaces going out from the center of
the disk section to the sides (a "<" shape, in your orientation above)
while the smaller one has only a single raised surface, oriented along
the length of the ship.

>the box was a
> mix of a dozen or so very different ship types, with no actual names
or
> descriptions supplied (I have one set, including the original box). I
guess
> they were intended as a general ship mix for roleplayers (eg
Traveller) for
> occasional encounters, rather than to give battle fleets for
miniatures
> combat.

Hmm, looks like they did come out with a line/background for these
things, then; the blister backs have a little blurb on them:

	    SPACE SQUADRONS

  Stellardate 2998.  Interplanetary war has broken out between the Earth
federation and the Alien planets.  Star fleets are on the move and
action is yours to create with the finest Battle fleets available to
today's adventure gamer. ....

OK, maybe they are just generic, then... it talks about an
"unparallelled miniature creation of fighter, support and auxilliary
craft, plus many interesting accessory items."

<shrug>

>If I'm right on the ID, the big one is about 70mm-ish in length
> with a circular front section and two small "weapon/sensor" pylons,
while
> the "round" one (about 35-40mm?) looks like it is made from a coil of
> wire... ?

Well, mine match up to that length... the larger one is about 75mm,
while the smaller one is 70mm.	I don't have any of the round things,
but they're pictured on the blisters fighting one of the Heavy Cruisers
in the line.

Later,

		    Aaron Teske
		    Mithramuse+@cmu.edu

Prev: Re: IFF aid, please... Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII