Prev: Re: GW Aims to take over the World Next: Re: Mecha Carnage and Aargh!

Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 14:38:06 -0400
Subject: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Hello fellow Newtonians,
	Since the discussion thread regarding Newtonian movement
mechanics
for FTIII has died out, I think I'll revive them by offering some ideas
for
weapons to use in it.  Since Newtonian Physics state that objects retain
their momentum unless acted upon by a force, this also means that any
object
"Dropped" by a vessel retains the Momentum of the parent vessel.  This
means
that you have to use Point of Origin or Vector Arrow Markers for all
objects
including ships, fighters, missiles and other things.
	This also means that all weapons such as missiles, fighters,
ships
etc. must all pre-plot their movement and execute them using the Real
Thrust
rules.	However, after objects have moved, check their movement lines
and
see if they crossed during the movement phase, this can have certain
effects...

	Sand Caster:	Mass: 1 	 Cost: 3 FTP
The Sand Caster is a one arc weapon that may face any direction, but
generally does not face forward, unless someone wants to damage their
ship
by accelerating through a Sand Cloud they just launched.  When fired the
box
is struck out (expended like missiles or Sub-munitions) and a cloud of
Sand
apears adjacent to the firing vessel on the side of the ship
corresponding
to the weapons arc of the original Sand Caster.  The cloud is 3 inches
in
diameter and retains the momentum of the ship at the time it was
launched.
	Sand Clouds drift at the rate of their momentum.  If a vessel,
or
any other object (other than another Sand Cloud) cross through the Sand
Cloud it recieves damage of 1D6 for every 12 inches of velocity
difference.
So a ship travelling at 18 inches of speed in direction 1 travels
through a
Sand Cloud with a velocity of 6 inches in direction 1, the ship would
recieve 1d6 of damage.	That same ship at velocity 18 in direction 1
encounters a Sand Cloud of Velocity 6 in direction 6, the ship would
receive
2D6 damage.
	Beam Weapons fired through a Sand Cloud act as if firing on a
ship
with an active screen.	Sand Clouds and Screens effects are cumulative.
Missiles, Mines, fighters are destroyed by Sand Clouds, unless they can
somehow match velocities with the Sand Cloud.  Needler Beams are
ineffective
when fired through Sand Clouds.  Pulse Torpedoes may not be fired
through a
Sand Cloud, but if fired AT the sand Cloud, disperse them.
	I usually represent Sand Clouds with Brown Cotton Balls, you can
get
these at any fabric Hobby shop.
	Standard Newton Missiles:	Mass: 2 	Cost: 6
Acts like a Missile out of FTII except that for maneuvering, it retains
the
momentum of the firing ship and has three turns of up to 12 inches of
thrust.  It effectively has no facing since it can rotate 180 degrees in
turn, however it may thrust only in one direction for a particular turn.
After three turns it effectively becomes a mine with 2D6 damage or
whatever
effect was selected.
	Newton Micro-Missile:		       Mass: 1	       Cost: 3
Acts like a Standard Newton Missile except that it has only two turns of
maneuvering and causes only 1D6 of damage.
	Newton Sand Cloud Missile:	       Mass: 2	       Cost:6
Acts like a Standard Newton Missile, except that its warhead is a Sand
Cloud.	If it hits a target or on the Third Turn (which ever comes
first),
it will bloom.	This leaves a Sand Cloud in place of the Missile and the
Sand Cloud retains the momentum of the original missile.
	Newton Micro-Sand Cloud Missile (Side Arm):  Mass: 1   Cost: 3
Acts like a Newton Micro Missile, except that its warhead is a 1.5 inch
Diameter Sand Cloud that blooms when the missile hits a target or on the
Second Turn (Which ever comes first).
	Newton Fighters:		Mass: 6 	Cost: 20
Acts just like a fighter squadron out of FT I & II except that it uses
Newtonian physics to maneuver.	Fighter Squadrons have 12 inches of
thrust
each turn and can apply that thrust in any direction.  Disengagement
rules
do not apply unless squadrons matched velocities to dogfight.
	With all of the missiles, fighter etc flying around, we'll have
beef up our XDAFs.  Therefore PDAFs and C Batteries act just like ADAFs
except they have a range of 3 inches.  PDAFS act as before with their
extended range.

	Please tell me what you think.	I would especially apreciate
feedback on the Sand Weapons.
	Phil P.

Prev: Re: GW Aims to take over the World Next: Re: Mecha Carnage and Aargh!