Prev: Re: Discount Games Next: Re: Deals with the Devil....

Re: Subscatterscenarioharpoongunpointsdefencevalues and stuff

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:31:03 -0400
Subject: Re: Subscatterscenarioharpoongunpointsdefencevalues and stuff

On Tue, Apr 22, 1997 at 11:41:53 PM, David Brewer wrote:

> > As I said, I'm not really into the genre. But despite its flaws,
it's
> > [Harpoon's]  the best widely available gam... manual simulation on
the
> > subject.
>
> I'd rather play Captain's Edition. Different scale, perhaps. I find it
> baffling that one man could write one game without having a clue about
> abstraction, and then demonstrate himself to be a master of it. Odd.

This assumes that Larry Bond wrote both games -- a natural assumption,
given
that his name is on both, but in this case it is incorrect.

Incidently, if you went over to Consim-L (the wargames mailing list) and
made
the claim that _Harpoon_ is the best widely available naval minis game
for
either the modern or WW2 periods, they would call Fire From Heaven down
upon
you. <g>  I guess it would all come down to what "widely available"
means, and
I suspect that someone would comment that this makes _Risk_ the best
"wdiely
available" wargame.

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)		World Wide Weuvesite --
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)		http://www.wizard.net/~caw
mailto:chrisweuve@usa.net (perm)

Prev: Re: Discount Games Next: Re: Deals with the Devil....