Prev: Re: Cavalry in SG2 Next: RE: Anti Grav......

Re: Scatterguns and SMPs... and PDAF

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:09:01 -0400
Subject: Re: Scatterguns and SMPs... and PDAF

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, David Brewer wrote:

> Well, this all goes to illustrate the difficulties in ascribing
> points values. No wonder JMT doesn't bother any more.

It's a pity. Lack of a points system renders otherwise good games
practically unplayable, IMHO.

Yeah, scenarios, umpires and all that... but in practice most of our
gaming sessions are rather impromptu "let's play X". Without points
system the only real choice is two identical forces -- and that gets old

real quick.

> Presumably one could write a scheme for re-evaluating points values
> for human ships fighting the Kra'Vak. Screens... -15 points? Waste
> of mass?

It's easier to factor their screen-defeating abilities in the costs
of the KV equipment. After that is done, *they* become the losers
because
they lack tactical variety and end up wasting points for an ability that

will be useless since a clever opponent won't bother mounting screens.

> Well, the points difference between with-AF and without-AF will not
> nearly be as large as the numbers that we've been talking regarding
> scatterguns;

No, ofcourse not. It's the principle again.

> No, but I, personally, imply them. I suppose that they remain beam
> batteries and bear only through the arcs designated.

...which in turn means all fighters with the choice will engage the rear

arc, which makes the AF ability for C's pretty worthless.

> Well, if we're on the topic, I though it was a dreadful game that
> split hairs in some places while making collosal generalisations in
> others. I haven't evaluated the new edition, though. Does it still
> inherit rules from Fred Jane regarding proportional loss in ship
> capability to hit points of damage inflicted?

As I said, I'm not really into the genre. But despite its flaws, it's
the
best widely available gam... manual simulation on the subject.

> defences and make sure the game included some definate objective,
> rather than just beating on an enemy fleet for the sake of it.
> Launch missiles... run... lose planet... (lose supply of
> missiles...) lose game.

What if you're the *attacker*? I can short circuit every vanilla
"destroy
the space station" scenario by taking all missile ships, launching at
extreme range and turning tail. Guaranteed draw at worst, and there's
very little my opponent can do about it.

In campaigns it's even better -- FTL missile strike squadron in, launch
for damage at extreme range, FTL out to reload while foe goes for
repairs/new ships/new bases. FTL in for a new strike. It's great! You
can
win an entire war without ever taking a single point of damage. Your
worst
problem is someone doing the same to you...

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Cavalry in SG2 Next: RE: Anti Grav......