Prev: Re: Personalities in SGII Next: RE: Personalities in SGII

Re: Thoughts on FT

From: "John W.F. McClain" <jmcclain@l...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:54:39 -0400
Subject: Re: Thoughts on FT

[I sent this before but I don't think it got out, sorry if you have
 received before.]

   Can anybody tell me why scatterguns are just so much better than
   submunitions packs?

Because clearly Kra'Vak mil tech is much better than human....

One thought I had was to allow humans to field a version of sub-packs
with anti-matter warheads.  Roll for damage normally but then
_multiply_ the resulting damage by _4_.  Note this gives the
anti-matter sub-pack a very high variance, which I like, makes it
quirky.  If an unfired anti-matter sub-pack is destroyed in a
threshold role apply a point blank anti-matter sub-pack attack to the
ship (no way to safety fuse a mag-bottle full of anti-matter...)

4x damage may seem a bit high (after all the eqv mass of scatterguns
averages 3.5) but when you consider:

	It still has 90 deg arc (v. scattergun's 360)
	It is not useful against fighters
	It may explode, damaging the carrying ship
	Its high variance

If anything 4x may bit a bit short.

Something similar can be done for missiles...

I think it is nicely justifiable in the FT/DS/SG time line too:

    Humans had theoretically been able to produce anti-matter warheads
    for 20 years before first contact with the Kra'Vak, however, no
    power had fielded them because of the impossibility of building a
    safety fuzed anti-matter warhead.  After only two years of full
    fledged war with the Kra'Vak humanity's back was to the wall and
    the previously unthinkable became necessary...

    [Cue music, switch to a series of holovid shots...

	The NAC's Io munitions facility blowing up after a production
    robot accidently runs over an anti-mater transfer line...

	An ESU stores ship blowing up after a minor hit in a surprise
    attack...

	A NSL Lancer slipping into point blank range and
    destroying a previously undamaged Kra'Vak strike carrier...]

--
I am solely responsible for contents of this message.  It does not
necessarily reflect the opinions of Lockheed Martin or its customers.

John W.F. McClain		  Lockheed Martin Information Systems
jmcclain@lads.is.lmco.com	  37 North Ave.
Work: (617) 505-9536		  Burlington, MA 01803

Prev: Re: Personalities in SGII Next: RE: Personalities in SGII