Prev: Re: $64,000 Question Next: Re: Fast speeds

Re: Expanding Shields/Statis Shields

From: "Brian Bell" <pdga6560@c...>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:54:19 -0500
Subject: Re: Expanding Shields/Statis Shields

The Langston field originaly was a set size. As it absorbed energy and
converted it to Heat energy, the heat energy bled off into space (a
questionable prospect in space). The idea behind the Motie expanding
field
was that as the field absorbed engergy, it increased in size providing a
greater surface area to blead the heat. As the energy was blead off, the
shield contracted back to the "standard" size.

By the way has anyone tested using a Ringworld inspired statis field for
screens/shields? It would protect from all damage, but also allow no
attacks, thrust, maneuvers, etc. on the target ship. Probably would
drain
the ship's energy pretty fast as well.

Brian Bell
pdga6560@csi.com