Prev: $64,000 Question Next: Thoughts on FT

Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 08:55:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

Mikko Kurki-Suonio writes:

@:) They didn't screw up. ... It was a last-ditch suicide mission and
@:) a gamble at that.

  If you ask me it's much the same thing.  Of course they'd been
losing the war for quite a long time at this point and hadn't been
able to convince themselves to sue for peace.  Frankly that's
something I've never understood.  They must have known they were going
to lose after Midway.  If I had been them I would have stopped
training pilots and started training diplomats at that point.

@:) If you want to speculate, the Leyte operation failed because
@:) Kurita chickened out on the suicide part.

  I'll buy that.

@:) You are partly correct. Kurita did think he was up against the
@:) fleet carriers, and the few hundred planes buzzing around him
@:) probably enforced that vision. The CVEs did launch planes, they
@:) just didn't have much in the way of anti-ship munitions (no AP
@:) bombs) -- but Kurita had no way of knowing this.

  Aha.

  Might be an interesting situation to simulate in FT.	You'd have to
use sensors and either give the "Americans" interceptors or unloaded
attack fighters.

-joachim

Prev: $64,000 Question Next: Thoughts on FT