Prev: Re: Expanding Shields Next: Re: Fast speeds

Re: Hardkill of missiles (exocets)

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@i...>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 17:47:51 -0500
Subject: Re: Hardkill of missiles (exocets)

On Thu, Mar 27, 1997 at 12:55:36 PM, "Phillip E. Pournelle" wrote:

> Here at the Naval Postgraduate School, Captain Rogers did an extensive

> investigation into hardkill options versus guided missiles in naval
> battles (Harkill defined as a object such as missile, gun etc.
> successfully engaging the missle before it causes harm to the intended

> target).

Has Capt. Rogers though of submitting it for publication?  This, of
course, is
the _exact_ sort of thing for which USNI Proceedings exists.

> The Isreali Navy have been the most successful fleet in this regard
and
> destoyed the Egyptian Navy's fleet of corvettes in this manner.

Um, I think they destroyed the corvettes by attacking them, not by
decoying
the Egyptian missiles, but I understand what you meant.  <grin>

BTW, I am of the opinion that anyone who is interested in naval
wargaming
(either SF or historical) really needs to read Capt. Wayne Hughes'
_Fleet
Tactics_.  It explains, among other things, why designers of the era
missed
the "obvious" idea that big-guns were preferable to small ones.  [The
short
answer is that, due to relative weights of mechanisms, rates of fire and

projectile energy, a ship armed with 6 inch guns (for example) could
actually
deliver 8 times the projectile energy of a ship of same displacement
firing 12
inch guns. (p.63)]

--Chris Weuve

Life Member, US Naval Institute
Life Member, Navy League of the United States

Prev: Re: Expanding Shields Next: Re: Fast speeds