Prev: Fast speeds Next: RE: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

Re: Bigger--not always better- but shouldn't be limited

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:26:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Bigger--not always better- but shouldn't be limited

In message <199703240455.XAA22812@raven.cybercomm.net> you wrote:

> Well if your intent is to restrict the weapons of the larger ships I
> think that they work BUT I am not to clear on why you would want to
> limit the Capital ships.

> If you find that you need to limit the power of them limit the use of
> them in your campaign.

> In Navel battles you don't see two or three Battleships or Carriers
> always showing up everywhere in every conflict.  You see a lot of
> Destroyers and other smaller ships dealing with situations...

The problem is that generally, people playing FT are only
ever designing a fleet to fight one battle. In 'Real Life',
navies have to allow for the possibility of fighting more
than one battle at once, at different places. Or at least
having dispersed presence.

Having a single 100 mass Super Dreadnaught may allow you to
waste a fleet of 10 mass 10 frigates, but only if they all
attack the same place, and your SD happens to be there. If
they each assualt a different planet, then you've lost at
least nine battles out of ten automatically.

The ultimate fix for this is to only ever play campaign
games, but this isn't always possible. Another possibility
is to design scenarios such that both sides require a
spread of ships, eg protecting and attacking multiple
targets at the same time.

--
Be seeing you,					     ARM not Intel.
Sam.					       Acorn not Microsoft.

Prev: Fast speeds Next: RE: Capital Ships in Campeign Games