Prev: Mines Next: Graf Spee tonnage was Re: Historical DD's

Re: Capital vs. others Debate

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 12:55:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Capital vs. others Debate

Joachim Heck wrote:
>  Extensible Screen
>  Mass 5?  Cost 35?
>
>  This device operates like a normal screen except that it can be
>projected much further from the ship.	For each device, the screened
>protection may be extended an additional 3" from the projecting ship.
>However, the protection afforded by the screens decreases by one level
>with every 6" range increment.  Thus a ship with level-3 extensible
>screens can provide level-3 screening to any ship within 3", OR
>level-2 screening to any ship within 6", OR level-1 screening to any
>ship within 9".  The radius of the screen must be recorded with
>movement orders for the turn and the screen must remain at that radius
>for the entire turn.  The screen provides no protection from any
>weapon fired from within its radius.  No more than three extensible
>screens may be active on any given ship during any given turn.

I like the idea of providing extensible screens.  I thought of this a
while
back when checking out some Space Fleet minis.	One ship was a large
shield
generator which could protect nearby ships from beam fire.  I would
recommend just allowing an extension of whatever shield strength the
carrying ship has at any point in time and just extend that to within a
6"
radius.

One thing to consider is does the shield extender provide a globe like
area
effect to all ships within it's reach or is it projected to each
friendly
ship within it's 6" radius.  I would prefer the latter.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Mines Next: Graf Spee tonnage was Re: Historical DD's