Prev: Re: Odd Tons (was Damn the Torp...) Next: Re: Historical DD's and torpedos - was Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

Re: Missles?

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:18:34 -0500
Subject: Re: Missles?

Absolutely Barking Stars writes:

@:) Basically, there is no good design reason to put the missiles
@:) anywhere where a 'cookoff' would cause any damage. It's a basic
@:) design principle that has existed, well, since gunpowder did.
@:)
@:) I think ANY possible warship design will be such that it is
@:) designed to minimise the effects of such things unless you get
@:) something like a full magazine hit or a catastophic series of
@:) ignitions in a ship with (say) damaged fuel lines or tanks - and
@:) that sort of thing is what I always thought threshold rolls were
@:) meant to represent.

  I recently learned that the USS Forrestal was basically gutted by
fire during Vietnam.  I don't recall what started the fire but it got
onto the flight deck and before the crews had a chance to roll all the
aircraft and bombs into the ocean (!) one of the bombs cooked off and
the entire deck went up in a huge fireball (this is frightening
film).	I think over a hundred people were killed and the ship didn't
re-enter service during the war.  Very nasty stuff and there was no
enemy action involved whatsoever.

  That said, you're probably right that this is what threshold rolls
are supposed to represent.

-joachim

Prev: Re: Odd Tons (was Damn the Torp...) Next: Re: Historical DD's and torpedos - was Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas