Prev: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon] Next: Armour + Screens Combined

Re: Historical DD's and torpedos - was Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 06:57:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Historical DD's and torpedos - was Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

><< One questions here, what would people classify a pocket battleship
as ???
> BC or CA or something else ??? >>
>
>How about the ubiquitous mass 36 cruiser?  As good or better than a
>comparable capital ship on the other sound of the "boundary" in
armament, and
>cheaper to build.  Remarkably similar the reality of the pocket
battleship.

>-- John I.

Sounds good.  In reality, they were originally rated as "Armoured Ships"
and
were re-rated as heavy cruisers during WW2.  Size-wise, they were fairly
similar to the "Hipper" class, and were overtaken by e.g. US "Salem" CAs
and
the assorted "Large Cruisers" (CB) built (e.g. "Alaska") or planned
(e.g.
IJN "B65") during the war.  Just remember to make it slow!

Personally, I like the late pre-dreadnought 1st Class Cruisers, e.g.
"Shannon" and "Rurik".

Cheers,
Rob Paul
"Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk
  "Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!"
--"

Prev: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon] Next: Armour + Screens Combined