Prev: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon] Next: Full Thrust/Star Trek CCG/Micro Machines Campaign

Re: Oops and Re: Damn the torpedoes and others (long)

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:30:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Oops and Re: Damn the torpedoes and others (long)

Mikko Kurki-Suonio writes:
@:) On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:
@:)
@:) > Do many people allow ships to move on headings other than those
@:) > which are integer multiples of 30 degrees?
@:)
@:) Well, I'd allow it IF you write it in your orders. Otherwise it's
@:) too easy to cheat: "Yes, I was really going to turn just 1
@:) degree..."

  My group has never come up with a good answer for this.  Some of us
line our ships up with the carpet-grain and some of us just let them
point whichever way they point.  Note that the random facing problem
gets much worse on a carpet (compared to a table).

@:) >	I don't think odd masses are not allowed....
@:)
@:) Check out the FAQ at http://www.geohex.com/faq1.htm

  That's a strage FAQ, especially since Jon himself seems to think
differently on this question.  Weird.

@:) >	Too true.  And in real warfare the goal is to win at all
@:) > costs.  In war games the goal is to have fun first and then to
@:) > win.
@:)
@:) Some people don't always get this. And some of us either play with
@:) them or don't play.

  I've heard this a lot lately.  It's really too bad.  I guess I'm
pretty lucky to have stayed in contact with people from college who
"play well with others".  I do go out of my way to avoid conventions
and game stores because of the horror stories I hear from other
gamers.

@:) > think some repairs might be in order (ala A batteries).  How
@:) > much of an effect would allowing fighters to shoot them down
@:) > have?
@:)
@:) I have carrier-heavy games, so I was going to try that. I'm going
@:) to allow fighters to attack missiles (interceptor get the bonus),
@:) because otherwise the big&slow CVs are sitting ducks. The
@:) ridiculously low fighter endurance means they can't even sit back
@:) beyond range if they care about retrieving the fighters some day
@:) -- like real carriers would.

  Sounds good.	The last campaign we played used the "Buck Rogers
Battle for the 25th Century(tm)" board game map, which is a schematic
diagram of the solar system, with each orbit having a number of spaces
connected to nearby spaces in the same and other orbits.  We allowed
fighters to attack from neighboring spaces.  That meant you could send
in a fleet but leave your carrier one space behind.  Unfortunately,
the campaign ended for other reasons exactly one turn before I did
just this and finally destroyed my arch-rival and nemesis.

-joachim

Prev: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon] Next: Full Thrust/Star Trek CCG/Micro Machines Campaign