Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas Next: Re: Missles?

Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

From: Rick Rutherford <rickr@s...>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:56:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Ground Zero Games wrote:
> FTIII Missile Ideas:
>
> SALVO MISSILE BATTERIES: Fires a group of
> hypervelocity missiles (probably 6 missiles per salvo) with only one
turn
> duration, moderate range (24-36"??); fired after order writing, but
before
> ships moved....

I've never liked the way missile velocity has been handled, and
increasing
the first-turn range of the missile to 24" - 36" won't make up for the
fact that the missile can't catch a ship that's travelling over 24" per
turn. It always seemed to me that the initial velocity of the missile
should be:

(velocity of firing ship) + (initial missile velocity).

After all, missiles HAVE TO go straight from the nose of the firing ship
on their initial turn, so the initial velocity of the missile should
preserve the momentum of the ship that fired it.

--
Rick Rutherford-------rickr@digex.net-------The above opinions are mine.
"I've seen collisions on fire off the side of the ethernet LAN.

All these things will be lost in time, like dropped packets. Time to
die."

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas Next: Re: Missles?