Prev: Re: Jerks in Full Thrust Next: Oops and Re: Damn the torpedoes and others (long)

RE: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:01:56 -0500
Subject: RE: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Ground Zero Games wrote:

> Mikko wrote:
>
> >Let's face it: The fact that you *can* optimize, means the system is
> >either somehow flawed, or its *intention* is to encourage
optimization.

> No, the intention was to give players as "open" a system as possible -
what
> each group wants to do with it is up to them. As to the flaws, IMHO
> virtually ANY system is capable of being manipulated for optimisation
> (except one as tight a chess, ref: earlier posts!); if you can design
one
> that isn't, we'd love to see it :)!!!

Most systems can be manipulated for optimisation, but Full Thrust is one
of the easiest to so manipulate - at least of the starship combat games
I've come across so far. Starfire (well, I apologize for bringing up
Starfire here on the FT list, but that's where I have most of my game
design experience) has the same problems - only a few weapons and ship
types were worthwhile, but by a little adjusting here, a few cost
changes
there, and some re-designed weapons in different places we are
overcoming
the problems. The goal (for us Starfire designers) is to make equal-cost
forces equal in combat power... but different designs have to be played
very differently to use that combat power efficiently; thus ensuring
game
variety. Life becomes hard for the "power gamers" then.

With the current FTII design rules:

* A batteries are the best beam weapon class. No competition from Bs or
Cs.
* Railguns are... well. The Best, you might say.
* Capital ships last too long, compared to their costs. Superships are
  even worse/better, depending on your point of view.

Solution? Balance the design system better! The A batteries have already
been taken care of. Make capitals more vulnerable, or more expensive, or
both. Tone down missile swarms a bit... and so on. The power gamers will
probably still find some sort of "ultimate" unit, but the when the
difference - in combat power - between their units and other, more
"sensible" designs, decreases tactics once more comes into play.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Jerks in Full Thrust Next: Oops and Re: Damn the torpedoes and others (long)